In our nuclear medicine department, state of the art technology is used for the diagnosis of cardiovascular, pulmonary, endocrine, neurological, genitourinary and gastrointestinal diseases.Scintigraphic images are acquired with dual-head gamma camera from Philips.The acquired images are processed by ADAC system.
Diagnostic Tests frequently performed in Nuclear medicine department.
- Bone: The extent of the disease in primary or metastatic tumors ,search for the causes of pain, differential diagnosis in sport injuries, detection of fractures at early stages.
- Lungs: Our tests help us to diagnose airway or capillary obstruction and pulmonary embolism as well as assessing lung functions prior to lung cancer surgery.
- Liver/gall bladder: Abdominal pain assessment , functional disorders and inflammatory diseases of gall bladder, post-surgical complications.
- Spleen: Spleen enlargement, diagnosis of the absence of spleen .
- Thyroid: Diagnosis and treatment of “toxic” goitre, inadequate thyroid function, assessment of thyroid nodules, post surgical follow-up
- Kidneys: Congenital kidney stones ,assessment of urinary obstructions due to narrowing or stones and diagnosis of kidney failure.Captopril test is one of the most sensitive tests for the diagnosis of renovascular hypertension.
- Heart: Diagnosis of ischemic heart disease and heart failure, calculation of ejection fraction,assessment of heart muscle viability
- Parathyroid: Detection of parathyroid adenoma or enlargement of parathyroid gland.Differential diagnosis of high blood calcium .
- Brain: Diagnosis of epilepsy, tumour and blood circulation failure. Early diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease prior to the formation of clinical symptoms.
- Infection, inflammation: Bone inflammation, abscess, unexplained fever
- Scintigraphy of tear ducts: It is the most sensitive and painless test for diagnosing tear duct obstruction
- Testicular scintigraphy: Differential diagnosis of painful testis Lymphoscintigraphy: Search for the causes of lymphatic drainage and the obstructions of lymphatic ducts. Preoperative lymphoscintigraphy assisting surgical procedures and ‘mapping’ of lymphatic drainage in breast cancer.
- MUGA: It is a scan used for detecting the total or regional movement disorders of the beating heart. It is recommended to be done before and after the treatments which may harm the heart.
- Gallium scintigraphy: It is very important for the detection of the causes of infections, lymphoma, sarcoidosis, and for the diagnosis of PCP which may develop due to the downfall of the immune system and also very important for the diagnosis of some specific tumours.
- Gastrointestinal bleeding scintigraphy: It is one of the sensitive tests used for the detection of the origin of bleeding in patients with active bleeding.